Friday, December 14, 2012

Living & Leaving - D18

Today is my anniversary!  My camp anniversary to be more specific.  It has been my privilege to serve full-time at Arrowhead for the past 11 years.  To some of you that may sound like an eternity, while compared to others I am just a youngster.  But hey, this is the oldest I have ever been and it is also the first full time job I have ever had.

Our camp staff and Alumni take pride (in a good way) in the number of summers or years they have served here at camp.  They become formative, life-changing notches in their belts; notches that take serious time, effort, sacrifice and dedication to accumulate.  But it is not just about notches in one's belt.  It is about legacy.  Camp is bigger than just those of us who are presently serving full time or part time.  Camp is farther reaching then any of our lifetimes.  Camp is also NOT about us and what we can accomplish while we are here.  That is why our mission is kingdom focused not camp focused.  I often remind our staff that Scripture says, "Behold, the kingdom of God is at hand", not "Behold, the camp of God is at hand".  Of course, that is also true of our workplaces, our churches, our families and our ministries.  Whether we purpose to or not, you and I will live & leave a legacy.

I am thrilled to be a part of a legacy that is kingdom focused.  Since 1945 when Arrowhead was founded we have had 3 key executive leaders.  The first was the founder, Dr. Paul Griffis who served for 34 years.  The second was Dave Martin, who served as Executive Director for 32 years.  Richie Robb has been serving with Arrowhead for 10 years; the last 2 years as our current Executive Director.

Photo: Dr. Paul Griffis and his family

No comments:

Post a Comment